Education: Academies and free schools
Running an Academy can be a real test. We’ll help you pass it
When a school becomes an Academy heads, governors and finance teams face many new challenges. As well as handling the day-to-day running of the school, as they always have, they have to start working with a completely new governance structure involving DfE reporting, charity law and company law – all without support from local authorities.
Changing from running a school to managing a charity, commercial considerations, a new regulatory framework, whilst still focusing on education delivery can be a very steep learning curve for heads, governors and school finance teams. So it pays to get advice from someone who specialises in helping Academies just like yours.
Our specialist Academy Schools team can support you both during and after conversion to Academy status. During the switch, we can help you set up the systems and processes you will need to comply with all your regulatory obligations. Later on, we’ll be there to support you with on-time reporting, budget control and general advice on managing your Academy’s finances, plus proactive advice on risks and opportunities.
We have a team of Academy specialists, plus other staff available to help as required. So we have all the resources to prepare your reports in good time for the December deadline, taking a major worry off your shoulders. We also have specialists in VAT, PAYE and corporation tax who can help you maximise income by ensuring unnecessary tax charges are avoided without regulatory problems.
Other areas we can help with include:
- Companies House documentation and filing
- Other company secretarial services
- VAT risk reviews and specialist VAT advice
- PAYE health checks, advice on benefits, dispensations and assistance with HMRC negotiation
- TR17 pension scheme reporting
- Governance advice and internal reviews
- Trustee training and guidance for governors
- Advice on systems development including internal reporting and controls
- Topical newsletters
- AAR and other EFA reporting
- Ad hoc accounting support (e.g. to cover unexpected staff absences)
- Advice on Gift Aid
- Tax enquiry insurance covering VAT, PAYE, Gift Aid or Minimum Wage
- Advice on DfE and EFA regulatory and reporting changes
- Financial forecasting and modelling
- Tax and use of enterprise companies
- Cost-effective payroll services
- Due diligence and advice on combinations
To learn more about our service for academies and free schools, please contact Julie Grimmer on
0845 612 0417 or e-mail email@example.com