Meet the Team – Matt Laxton
Wednesday, 10 October 2018
1. How long have you been at MHA Larking Gowen and why did you join LG?
I’m coming up for five years at MHA Larking Gowen and one year in the Corporate Finance team. I spent almost eight years at another regional firm where I trained and qualified, and moved to MHA Larking Gowen for the opportunity to manage a portfolio in our business and private team, which I did for four years, before moving to Corporate Finance for a new challenge!
2. What do you enjoy most about your role at MHA Larking Gowen?
Helping clients to realise the value in the years of hard work that they’ve put into building their business. Secondly - the variety of work and fast-changing environment; you can come to work thinking you’ve got your whole day mapped out and then one phone call can change everything and your day ends up being completely different.
3. What do you view as your cornerstone project in your career?
The first business sale I worked on from start to finish completed in June this year so I’d have to say this one. It was my first experience of the disposal process and gave me invaluable experience, which I'm putting into practice on other assignments.
4. As a child what did you want to be when you grew up?
I was never really sure what I wanted to do but I always thought it would be a manual job like metalwork or woodwork. That changed when I realised I was much better with numbers than I was at being creative, and I ended up in accountancy after finishing my A-levels.
5. Who do you admire and look up to and why?
I look up to most people as I’m from a short family! On a more serious note, I’m fortunate to have a team around me in Corporate Finance with huge amounts of knowledge and experience to share, and most have been in my position earlier in their careers so they lead by example.
6. If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who would they be and why?
My Grandads, both of whom passed away when I was young and, Peter Kay for entertainment.
7. What advice would you give to anyone considering a career in Corporate Finance?
It’s a challenging, fast paced environment, but it's very rewarding helping clients to achieve their goals.